Since the very beginning every unit of Terre de Paix has been buying clay to work with children. It has been noticed that the clay that are bought become either too hard or sometimes breaks into pieces which makes it difficult to be used after one or two months. On 26th and 27th March there was a capacity building program organized on how to make our home made clay which will last longer and also cheaper in price. The session was run by Mrs Josette who gave a very good demonstration on how to make clay. Staffs and coordinators, from each unit participated in that session and everyone gave their appreciation. From now on each unit will make its own clay.
Home made and easy Recipe for Clay
1 Cup of Plain Flour
1 cup of Water
½ teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of Oil
1 pack of Cream of Tartar
Major Utensils needed:
1. Add Plain flour, water, salt and oil mix well in a saucepan.
2. Add the cream of Tartar and continue to mix.
3. Bring them over low heat and keep on stiring with a wooden spoon till it forms a soft dough.
4. Leave to cool.
5. Add food colouring to give it a colour of your preference.
6. Knead well the dough till the colour is spread evenly.
7. The clay is ready to be used.
The clay should be stored in a closed container to avoid moisture.